About the Current Project
Ask4Summary is a Moodle plugin aiming to provide users with a summary based on part of speech similarity to their question. The plugin will go through course material, gather the sentences - and their N-Grams and Part of Speech - and store it into its learning database. Afterwards, when a user asks a question, it will compare the N-Grams taken from their sentences and produce a similarity coefficient from the frequency of those same N-Grams in the learning database. Then, it will return the most comparable sentences.
- The course material scanned remains in the database, allowing fast lookup in Ask4Summary's learning tables.
- The plugin can return up to 12 comparable sentences for any user question, from up to 5 documents in the course.
- The plugin currently supports use of Word Documents, Powerpoint Presentations, PDFs, URL webpages, and built in Moodle Pages.
N-Gram POS Service
Ask4Summary uses the VIP Research Group's N-Gram POS Service - it collects N-Grams validated by the top 15 parts of speech from the DBPedia database.
Ask4Summary derives the summary algorithm from the VIP Research Group's ASKCOVIDQ serivce. It utilizies cosine similarity on vectors created from the frequency of N-Grams in the user's question, and the learning database.
Our research aims to utilize the VIP Research Group's services to provide Moodle courses with a question and answer service.
Dr. Maiga Chang is a Full Professor in the School of Computing and Information Systems at Athabasca University, Canada.
The research focuses on using the N-Gram Part of Speech service capable of verifying valid n-grams from a user's question or their course material. Then, it would utilize a derivation of the AskCOVIDQ summary algorithm to compare the frequency of generated N-Grams that are stored in the database.
Maria is a Charter Civil Engineer specialized in data science and spatial analysis for large public and environmental infrastructures, holding a Master's Degree in Big Data & Visual Analytics and in Occupational Risk Prevention. Maria is currently writing her PhD doctoral thesis in Computer Science at the International University of La Rioja and pursuing a Master of Science in Information Systems at Athabasca University.
Supun De Silva is an undergraduate student at Athabasca University pursuing a Bachelor of Science majoring in Computing Information Systems with a minor in Game Programming. My current research interest is in artificial intelligence in education, specifically identifying student learning weaknesses and providing adaptive feedback. Other areas of interest include cloud computing, system administration, web-based system development, network programming, database administration, game programming, and system analysis and design. Outside of schoolwork, I like reading books and weightlifting.
Mohammed Saleh is an undergraduate student at the University of Alberta, pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Computer Software Engineering. His main research focus was the development of the Ask4Summary plugin; but, Mohammed is also interested in software development and video game production. Other than computing, Mohammed enjoys the outdoors and sports.
Mikhail Vinogradov is a Software Developer and Cloud Practitioner with a passion for innovation and solving problems through technology. His extracurricular interests include Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Systems Architecture, and Biotechnology. He recently completed his Master's of Information Systems at Athabasca University and is looking for his next project to pursue his PhD.
Sayantan Pal is an undergraduate student. He is pursuing Computer Science and Engineering from Heritage Institute of Technology, India. His research interest lies in the domain of Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, Human-Computer Interaction, Data Mining, and Recommender Systems.
The installation process of Ask4Summary.
- Installation from the Plugin Directory
- Installation directly into Moodle files
A guide on how teachers can use Ask4Summary.
- How to use the Logistics page
- How to optimize course resource scanning
- Rita Kuo, Maria F. Iriarte, Di Zou and Maiga Chang. (2023). Preliminary Performance Assessment on Ask4Summary’s Reading Methods for Summary Generation. In: 19th International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems, (ITS 2023), Hybrid, Corfu, Greece, June 2-June 5, 2023. (Springer)(accepted)
- Mohammed Saleh, Maiga Chang, and Maria F. Iriarte. (2022). Ask4Summary Automatically Responds Student's Question with a Summary Assembled from Course Content. In: Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Computers in Education, (ICCE 2022), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Hybrid), November 28-December 2, 2022, Volume 2, 413-418.
- Mohammed Saleh, Maria F. Iriarte, and Maiga Chang. (2022). Ask4Summary: A Summary Generation Moodle Plugin Using Natural Language Processing Techniques. In: Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Computers in Education, (ICCE 2022), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Hybrid), November 28-December 2, 2022, Volume 1, 549-554.
- Sayantan Pal, Maiga Chang, Maria Fernandez Iriarte. (2021). Summary Generation using Natural Language Processing Techniques and Cosine Similarity. In: the Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications, (ISDA 2021), Virtual, December 13-15, 2021, 508–517. (Springer)
Frequently Asked Questions
What can Ask4Summary be used for?
Ask4Summary can be used as a question and answer service for your Moodle course. It will attempt to get sentence content from your course material, and return an answer to the user.
What services does Ask4Summary use?
Ask4Summary uses two of the VIP Research Group's services - the N-Gram POS service, and the AskCOVIDQ summary algorithm. Ask4Summary directly uses the N-Gram POS service to get the N-Grams and Part of Speech from the user's question and the course material. Then, it uses a derivation of the AskCOVIDQ summary algorithm to produce a response based on frequency of N-Grams in the question and in the database.
How can I use Ask4Summary?
Check the Installation, Configuration and Teacher Use videos above for a comprehensive guide on Ask4Summary.
Will Ask4Summary be updated in the future?
Yes, Ask4Summary may be updated in the future to improve the course material scanning, the N-Gram POS service, and the summary algorithm in the future; but, there is no immediate plan to do so.